If your doctor has advised you it is time for cataract surgery, you’re not alone. Cataract surgery is one of the most commonly performed surgical procedures in the United States and has been shown to significantly improve vision and quality of life for patients who undergo the procedure.
Although traditional cataract surgery is very effective and successful, when considering your surgical options, laser cataract surgery can offer a host of benefits over traditional procedures and can help you experience the best possible long term vision. Lasers have been used for decades to perform vision correction, and were approved by the Food and Drug Administration in 2011 for cataract surgery. Laser surgery allows the surgeon to perform certain key steps within cataract surgery with a laser rather than a hand-held blade.
The benefits of laser surgery include:
- The laser provides an extremely detailed 3-D image of the eye. Since each eye is different with regards to its structures, the surgeon can use the measurements the laser provides to plan your surgery much more precisely.
- The exacting accuracy of the laser increases the likelihood that the incision will be self-sealing at the end of the procedure, reducing the need for sutures and reducing the risk of infection.
- The laser enables better centering of the intraocular lens which is a significant factor in determining final visual outcomes.
- The laser procedure causes less inflammation to the eye, so patients heal more quickly and experience improved visual acuity more quickly than with traditional cataract surgery.
- The laser enables the physician to simultaneously correct certain amounts of regular astigmatism to reduce your need for glasses.
If you think it may be time for cataract surgery, we offer a host of the latest advancements in lens implants and surgical procedure options to create a custom experience for every cataract patient, including the unparalleled precision and accuracy of the LenSx femtosecond laser. Since 2013, we have performed close to 2,000 cataract procedures with the LenSx in our out -patient ambulatory surgery center, where our focus is solely on surgery of the eye and its surrounding structures.
Click for more information on cataracts or the LenSx femtosecond laser for cataract surgery.